Aromatherapy hydrosols and essential oils can balance, hydrate and nourish dry skin. Commercial cleansers, toners and moisturizers can often dry skin out further as they cannot help the skin to create its own natural balance. Essential oils and hydrosols protect and nourish without drying skin out. Consider investing in these dry skin remedies derived from plants and flowers.
Why do I have dry skin?
Dry skin results from the sebaceous glands not producing enough sebum, in contrast to oily skin. Lack of sebum can result in dry skin on your face, with the tendency to become rough, flaky and develop premature wrinkles. This is because the lack of sebum on the skin means it cannot retain moisture as these natural oils help protect against moisture loss. As a result, dry skin can be fine, very delicate, sensitive, thin and prone to thread veins.
The use of inappropriate skin care that dries out the skin can worsen the problem. Dry skin can also be exacerbated by overexposure to extreme weather such as sun, wind and excessive heat. The best way to treat dry skin is to use products that hydrate, nourish and moisturize to bring the skin back to its natural balance. A careful selection of aromatherapy hydrosols, essential oils and carrier oils used daily as part of your skincare routine for dry skin can help to nourish and protect your skin as well as create and maintain a balanced and glowing complexion.
Try these dry skin remedies:
Cleanser and toner for dry skin
Dry skin benefits from a gentle cleanser and a nourishing and revitalizing toner. Hydrosol of rose, Rosa Damascena, is superb for dry, sensitive skin and skin that has been “devitalized.” It is cooling and astringent, great for wrinkles and rejuvenating dry skin. It cleanses efficiently without stripping the skin of natural oils and hydrates it at the same time.
A hydrosol is the distillate produced as part of the steam distillation process to extract an essential oil. It contains the same properties as the essential oil but in a gentler format that can be applied neat to the skin.
Spritz on liberally and wipe off with damp cotton make up pads to cleanse. Spritz on again to tone.
Best moisturizer for dry skin
The best moisturizer for dry skin is a serum. A serum nourishes and protects, making it perfect for dry skin types. You can make a serum easily at home using 3 of drops of essential oils that hydrate and nourish combined with 15ml of carrier oils that are rich in vitamins and minerals.
Here are the following essential oils and carrier oils that are great for hydrating and nourishing dry skin:
- Essential oil of jasmine Jasminum officinale is good for all skin types especially dry, sensitive and irritated
- Essential oil of neroli Citrus surantium var amara is calming and gentle. It is regenerative and therefore great for dry skin and broken capillaries
- Essential oil of rose Rosa damascena is gently astringent so good for cleansing and toning dry skin. It is also effective on inflamed, dry and sensitive skin types.
- Essential oil of German chamomile Matricaria recutica is calming and healing to dry skin. It is effective for sensitive skin, allergies and other conditions of the skin as well as acne
- Essential oil of roman chamomile Anthemis nobilis is one of the safest and gentlest oils used in aromatherapy. It is calming and healing for sensitive, reddened and dry skin
The above oils tend to be very expensive but you can buy 3% dilutions in jojoba oil from good aromatherapy suppliers.
- Carrier oil of apricot Prunus armeniaca is easily absorbed and hence great for all skin types, literally acting as an efficient “carrier” for the essential oils to permeate the skin barrier. It is softening and nourishing and great for protecting the skin, making it the perfect base for a dry skin serum
- Carrier oil of jojoba Simmonsida sinensis has a molecular structure similar to sebum, helping it to nourish, hydrate and balance dry skin conditions. Also a perfect base for a dry skin serum
- Carrier oil avocado Persea gratissima is soothing and nourishing, making it a perfect ingredient for dry and dehydrated skin. Use at 5% in your blend
- Carrier oil of evening primrose Oenothera biennis is very healing and soothing, making it a great ingredient for a dry skin serum. Use at 5% in your blend
- Carrier oil of carrot Daucus carota is a tonic and very soothing for dry skin. Use at 5% in your blend as it will turn your skin orange is used to excess!
When you have made your blend, massage into face, neck and décolletage daily, morning and evening in gentle upward motions. Apply while the hydrosol is still wet to create a “cream” effect (since most cosmetic lotions are a mix of oil and water anyway).
Using essential oils, hydrosols and carrier oils is one of the best ways to gently hydrate and nourish dry skin. These dry skin remedies are natural, organic and safe to use on your skin. If you have extreme broken skin on your face it is wise to consult a holistic dermatologist or aromatherapist to ensure you use the best products to treat the dry skin on your face.